The Mayor provides strong leadership and presides over Stafford City Council meetings. In his role as head of the City government, the Mayor oversees the pursuit and enforcement of ordinances, regulations, and resolutions; signs all official documents; appoints special committees; guides the preparation and administration of the annual budget and delivers the “State of the City” message each January.
Mayor Leonard Scarcella was first elected as Mayor of the City of Stafford in 1969. For 43 years, he has led this City on one of the most successful – - and storied – - journeys of any city in Texas. His leadership and vision have been the springboard to numerous and notable achievements, including:
- The six-year battle to create and implement the Stafford Municipal School District, the only breakaway school district in the nation to gain the approval of the federal courts and the only municipal school district in the state;
- The elimination of the city property tax for all taxpayers – -commercial and residential – - through a sound and disciplined fiscal approach, making Stafford the largest city in Texas without a property tax and gaining national acclaim for the achievement;
- The planning and development of the Stafford Centre, a unique entertainment and cultural complex with a 1,100 seat performing arts theatre, 25,000 square feet of convention center space and four festival fields on 43 acres of property in the heart of the City.
- The obtaining of innovative legislation, then financing and constructing a state-of-the-art, science and technology center for the Houston Community College on the Stafford Campus as the first such authorized city/college educational facility in the state;
- The development of one of the strongest and most diverse economies per capita in Texas; and
- The $110 million enhancement of the U.S. 90A corridor, in conjunction with the Texas Department of Transportation and Union Pacific Railroad, including installing two underpasses and one overpass, widening of North and South Main Streets the length of the city, moving the railroad tracks 100 feet northerly for safety and mobility purposes and revitalizing the infrastructure of the old business district.
Mayor Scarcella actively promotes the following endeavors:
- The strengthening of zoning and building standards to improve the quality of life of the citizens and to beautify the City;
- The live television broadcasts on its governmental access channel of City Council, Planning and Zoning Commission, and Stafford Economic Development Corporation meetings as well as a myriad of local events for a better-informed and more governmentally-active citizenry; and
- A proposed commuter rail project with four neighboring cities to tie into Houston’s new light rail network.
Mayor Scarcella is a life-long resident of Stafford and has practiced law in the City for 42 years.
Email the Mayor
Mayor´s “State of the City”
Mayor´s “Budget Message”
Stafford City Council Members